You have chosen this year to relax at sea in Bulgaria, but you do not just want to lie on the beach - Golden Sands is the perfect option. The Golden Sands Nature Park is one of the most interesting sights in Bulgaria, and in close proximity to the wonderful hotels of the resort.
The Golden Sands Nature Park is the smallest (13.2 sq km) of the 11 nature parks in the country. It is located 17 km northeast of Varna. It is located parallel to the seashore. The length of the park is 9.2 km and the average width is 1.2 km. The highest peak is Chiplak tepe - 269 m and the average altitude is 110 m.
The idea of establishing a park was documented as early as 1915. But it became reality on February 3, 1943 when, with a decree of the Ministry of Agriculture and State Property, a part of the Hachuca State Forest in an area of 2.4 km2 is declared the Golden Sands National Park - the second one declared in the country after the National Park (today Nature Park) Vitosha (1934), which makes it one of the first in Bulgaria. The aim of the park is to preserve and protect valuable plant and animal communities and typical landscapes.
When the Golden Sands National Park was declared in 1943, no one imagined that it would be there after 13 years that the construction of one of our biggest sea resorts would begin. Golden Sands resort is not only located on the then popular park, but also takes its name.
The Nature Park is a Protected Area for Conservation of Natural Habitats and Wild Fauna and Flora, part of the Natura 2000 ecological network.
We recommend it because the terrain is light and accessible to every age, but it does not give way to interesting representatives of flora and fauna. About 80% of the Park's territory is occupied by deciduous forest vegetation, represented by dozens of species, but mainly of hornbeam and oak. Logs-type woods occupy the deep, humid seas where 13 small natural lakes are scattered and temporary streams and streams flow. The liany (stalk, vetch, ivy) trees and the thick bushes make the forest a impassable green jungle. In the park are artificially imported white acacia, North American poplar, mulberry, aspen maple and various coniferous species - black pine, Greek fir, Lebanese cedar, tuna, cypress. Among herbaceous vegetation, 15 species are rare and endangered (snowflake, ephedra, caucasian primrose). 12 types of orchids complement the charm of the park.
The park preserves habitats of forest species such as roe deer, fox, badger, sleepwalker, bats. The bird kingdom is represented by more than 70 species, the most numerous are the mounds - tiger, thrush, bark, jay, rosacea. From the predatory species there is a large and meager hawk, buzzard, forest hawk. Above the park, located on the Via Pontica migratory road, large migratory birds migrate during migration. The seaside is populated by the silver gulls. On the territory of the park there are 5 tourist routes and one original children's circular route "The Home of the Jay".
Here are the specialized routes:
The home of the jay- a naturally-known children's circular route, representing the typical for the park animal species in their natural environment. There is a children's playground along the route. The route is suitable for children of all ages, as well as for their parents. Duration - 90 min.
Nature for everyone - specially built to provide easy access for people with disabilities, including blind and wheelchair users. Typical tree species have been placed with Braille lettering plates. Duration - 40 min
Dendrological Route - Presents typical tree and shrub species, along the path connecting Aladja Monastery to the Catacombs. Duration - 40 min.
The Song of the Forest - Educational Interactive Route presenting interesting bird kingdom and songs of common birds in the park. The place for recreation along the route is also a place to explore the forest inhabitants. Duration - 60 min.
Bicycle Route - Visitor Center - Kranevo village, duration 40 min. The route coincides with a pedestrian route and cyclists should be particularly careful.
Aladja Monastery is the most famous and visited cultural and historical site. It is located in the southwestern part of the park and is a medieval rock monastery from 13-14 century, a monument of culture of national significance, which with the immediate proximity of the early Christian catacombs forms a historical complex.
In the park are also found remains of basilica and medieval fortresses.